Skip to content

Passports & Visas

image of US Passport cover

If you are a U.S. citizen and need to obtain a first-time passport, our Global Envoys can assist you in the process and IGE will issue you a reimbursement. Details are located in GrinnellShare (login required).

Most countries require your passport to be valid for 6 months after your departure date so be sure to check the expiration date. Passport renewal can take 6 weeks so plan ahead. Make copies of your passport and leave a copy at home with friends or family and leave a copy in a separate location. This will be invaluable if you lose your passport or if it is stolen.

visa stamps in passport

For off-campus study, contact your program regarding requirements. FLAG programs may use Travisa (but wait for guidance) and Grinnell students can receive a discount on the service fee by using the Grinnell dedicated portal.

IGE staff are unable to advise on visas due to their complexity and changing nature. We encourage you to call or email the embassy or consulate of the country you are travelling to find out more detailed information. Some embassies require in-person interviews for a visa which will require you to travel to the embassy closest to Grinnell or your home.

International students can log in to GrinnellShare to read OISA's advice regarding international students with F1 visas.

Transit Visas

There are 2 types of Transit Visas:
  1. Airport Transit Visa: Required by citizens of certain countries for transiting through the International Airports of other countries.
  2. Transit Visa: Short Term Visa (usually less than 3 days - 96 hours) granted to travellers who are en route to a certain country but decided to make a temporary stopover in another country on the way. (e.g. Flying to the USA via Singapore from India)
This is particularly important for international students. Check out the IATA website. You can input your destination information in the Passport, Visa and Health search to find out if you will need a transit visa.