Application Process Overview
photo by Peter Zelles '20
Step One - Grinnell Approval to Study Off Campus
Advising QuestionnaireSeeking Grinnell approval to study off campus requires submitting an Advising Questionnaire and a Grinnell Program Application. Both can be worked on simultaneously; the Advising Questionnaire isn't required before starting a Grinnell Program Application. However, the application won't be reviewed until both have been submitted.
The Advising Questionnaire can be accessed in the "Request an Advising Appointment" section. It is designed to help students explore options through self-reflection and required meetings:
- OCS 101 Information Session OR a meeting with a Global Envoy peer adviser. Info sessions will be held on September 4, 2019 HSSC S3325 at 4:00 - 5:30 pm or at 7:00 - 8:30 pm, and on most Thursday evenings from 7:00 - 8:30 pm in the Global Living Room near the HSSC's atrium. If you are unable to attend these sessions, you can schedule a meeting with a Global Envoy peer adviser to go over nuts & bolts: https://calendly.com/globalenvoy.
- Advising appointment with an OCS staff member. See "Request an Advising Appointment" section for links to our online scheduling system.
- Meeting(s) with one or more Campus Program Advisor(s) and noting two things you learn from the conversation(s) in your Advising Questionnaire. You can find the Campus Program Adviser names on each program page. If you are interested in an alternative program, OCS Director Alicia Stanley serves as your Campus Program Adviser.
We strongly recommend finishing the advising phase by December 13, 2019.
Starting in Fall 2019, OCS will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and it is to your benefit to apply as soon as possible, particularly if your program is considered competitive.
Please read about the steps in the application process for Grinnell approval to study off-campus.
Alternative program request: November 15, 2019.
Petition to study off campus for the full year on one or two programs: November 15, 2019.
Early deadline: December 5, 2019. Please note that some programs have external January deadlines.
Final deadline: February 1, 2020.
Note: Grinnell-in-London and all Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad (CASA) programs have a one-step process of submitting the Grinnell Program Application.
New: Grinnell-in-Washington has a two-step application process including an external application to American University after obtaining Grinnell approval.
Step Two - External Program Application After Grinnell Approval
After you receive approval from Grinnell to study off campus, apply directly to the program for which you have been approved as soon as possible. Program websites provide instructions. Note: Grinnell-in-London and all Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad (CASA) programs have a one-step process of submitting the Grinnell Program Application.
Programs with very early deadlines in January include ACM Japan Study and London School of Economics. Due dates can be found on program websites.
- Fall semester program due dates are usually in March or April.
- Spring semester program due dates are usually in September or October.
Updated September 2019