Skip to content

Applying to your Off-Campus Program


After you have approval to study off-campus 

Application Forms

Use the link to your program's homepage under Program Search to access the program's application and instructions. Every program has a program contact who can answer questions by email or phone.

Submitting Applications

Submit the application as soon as possible after receiving Grinnell's notification, and by the program's deadline at the latest. Some programs have rolling admissions and it's to your advantage to apply early. 

Authorization Forms

Home school authorization or study abroad approval forms confirm you have received permission from your school to apply to a program or participate in an internship. Most programs have online approval forms that generate automatic emails notifying our office when a form is ready to be reviewed. Paper forms may be scanned and saved, and then emailed to your OCS Contact as indicated in the program brochure (either Alicia Stanley, Jonathan Larson or Lucy Chang) . You may request the signed form be sent to you via email for upload into your application or be sent directly to the program. Paper forms may also be dropped off for us at the Global Envoy desk in the OCS Office.

Please note: Grinnell has agreements with DIS Copenhagen, Aquincum Institute of Technology and IES regarding authorization forms; there is no need to provide forms to these programs. Authorizations are completed online.

Letters of Recommendation

Paper recommendation forms should be sent directly to the program. Please do not ask faculty to send their letters to the OCS Office or to Program Advisers. Allow faculty at least two weeks to complete a recommendation request. During the summer it may be more difficult to reach faculty so be sure to request recommendations early. Please note: For ACM programs, the OCS office will provide copies of faculty recommendations from your application; new recommendation requests are unnecessary.


Instructions for obtaining Grinnell transcripts can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.  Indicate that the transcript be sent directly to the program, and provide the program's address.  The Registrar requires 2 days notice to issue a transcript.  If your program requires that the transcript be mailed with the paper application, request it be sent to you by campus mail. Please note that the OCS office cannot forward transcripts or other application materials to programs.

Program Deposit

Once you are accepted by the program you will receive a request for a deposit; $500 is typical. The deposit secures your place on the program. You are responsible for paying the deposit, and a credit will be issued on your student account. Be sure to check the program website for the amount and policies. After you have sent in your deposit, the program will send you information regarding visas, travel, housing and coursework.

School of Record Transcripts or Grade Reports

Transcripts or grade reports from the off-campus study should be sent to the Registrar's Office. Note: IES Programs have an existing agreement to send Grinnell all transcripts so you will not need to request one.
Registrar – Grinnell College
1103 Park St.
Grinnell, IA 50112 


Obtain your passport as soon as you know you will be studying internationally. If you have a passport, verify the expiration date falls at least 6 months after your expected date of return. You may also need to start researching visa requirements especially if you are an international student. OISA has a checklist for international students with F1-visas. Questions regarding visa requirements should be directed to the program provider.