Grinnell-IES Summer International Internships
The Center for Careers, Life, and Service (CLS) and the Institute for Global Engagement (IGE) partners with IES Abroad to feature subsidized internship opportunities for small groups of Grinnell students in Barcelona, Berlin, Milan and Cape Town. These locations have been selected by CLS and IGE staff because of the opportunities that they offer Grinnell students.
This program is different from the existing CLS Summer Internship Funding in that this is the first time Grinnell is partnering with an organization to facilitate summer internship placements abroad along with on-the-ground support, including with housing. Because these services come with a higher cost than a student finding an internship abroad on their own, Grinnell is working with IES to offer different levels of financial support.
Because we expect to send small groups to each of these locations, this program is ideal for a student who would like to get some summer experience abroad with a few familiar faces from Grinnell. Students with impediments to going abroad during the academic year are particularly encouraged to apply for this program.
How does it work?
You’ll be an intern at a local business or start-up organization, where you’ll work for at least 25 hours a week. You will enroll in a required 3-credit academic internship seminar with other IES interns, where you’ll gain context for your internship placement by examining cultural issues in the workplace. For Barcelona, if you have not had any Spanish, you will also enroll in a beginner 3-credit Spanish language course at no additional cost.
Internship placement examples
Past students have interned in the fields listed below. Keep in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive. We encourage students of all majors to apply. NOTE: Some fields in Barcelona may require a knowledge of Spanish. Speak with your IES Internships Adviser to learn more. Don’t see your field listed here? Just talk to your IES Internships Representative—new internships are always being added!
Education & Language Instruction, Health* (non-clinical), International Business, International Relations, IT, Journalism, Law*, Marketing, Media & Communications, Not-for-Profit Organizations, Psychology* (non-clinical), Tourism, and more.
Am I eligible to apply?
- Be currently enrolled full-time first-, second-, third-year students or participating in an approved OCS program. International students are encouraged to apply.
- For the fall semester following the summer experience, be registered 1) full-time for courses on the Grinnell campus or 2) enrolled and attending an off-campus study program approved by Grinnell.
- Have no current conduct or academic probation cases in either the Office of Student Affairs or Academic Affairs.
- Have a valid passport* (IGE can support you in obtaining your FIRST passport. NO RENEWALS)
What is required of me?
- A program fee of $500
- Required to enroll in the Spanish course for an internship in Barcelona (if no prior background in the language)
How to ApplyThree Step Process:
- Apply to Grinnell College through the Apply Now button for approval by February 1, 2020.
- Go to the IES Abroad website and submit an application to the program as well as an IES scholarship application by February 14, 2020.
- Apply to CLS for supplemental funding if needed.
Select one internship location to apply to:
- Grinnell College-IES Abroad Barcelona
- Grinnell College-IES Abroad Cape Town
- Grinnell College-IES Abroad Berlin
- Grinnell College-IES Abroad Milan
Please contact Alicia Stanley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Edited September 2019