Outstanding international reputation in economics and social sciences as well as history,law, and philosophy
Participation in the “General Course", a fully integrated, one-year program of study for study-abroad students - each student may select four year-long courses from the LSE curriculum and is assigned an adviser who provides academic support.
International campus: over 67% of students are from countries outside of the UK
London is one of the world’s most important economic and government centers
Open to all majors and may be of particular interest in these subject areas:
Economics English Finance International Relations Mathematics Political Science
Preparatory coursework recommended by Grinnell
Major in economics or political science.
The following is excerpted from the LSE website:
Why choose the General Course?
There are many reasons why the General Course is the right choice for you, but here are 15 of the best:
1. The world's leading dedicated social science institution: LSE consistently receives the highest ratings available for the quality of its teaching and research. It is also home to the world's largest social science library, the British Library of Political and Economic Science.
2. Over 250 courses to choose from: Covering the full spectrum of social science disciplines and taught along side degree-seeking students in a mixture of lectures and small classes.
3. Central London location: The School is on the doorstep of the City of London, Westminster and Covent Garden; providing great social and academic resources.
4. Teaching delivered by leading academics: LSE's academics are at the cutting edge of the social sciences, influencing opinion and helping shape society. They are frequently called upon to advise governments and international organisations and provide an education grounded in the real world.
5. International and cosmopolitan environment: LSE students are drawn from over 140 different countries and two thirds of all those at the School come from outside the UK. 45 per cent of the academic staff originate from outside the UK.
6. General Course Social Calendar: A full calendar of UK and European excursions offered at substantial discounts.General Course students also enjoy a Welcome Party and bespoke orientation events.
7. Guaranteed university accommodation: All applicants offered a place on the General Course are guaranteed a room in our centrally located university housing.
8. Public lectures delivered by eminent outside speakers: An extensive programme of public events attracting leading individuals from all walks of life, including in the last year: His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Ben Bernanke and Aung San Suu Kyi.
9. Over 200 student clubs and societies: Covering a wide variety of interests including politics, culture, academia, sports, hobbies and food and drink. Complemented by the activities of the University of London Union.
10. Support of the Dean for the General Course: The Dean is available throughout your stay at the School to deal with any problems, queries or issues you might have. You will also have a departmental tutor and a student mentor.
11. Elite and intellectual student body: High calibre students selected for their academic ability who share your enthusiasm for the subject matter and motivation to learn.
12. Scholarships worth £15,000: Four LSE General Course Scholarships worth £15,000 each are available to all accepted students.
13. Residential visit to Cumberland Lodge in Windsor Great Park: An introduction to both the UK and your fellow General Course students in the relaxed surroundings of an English country house.
14. Work in London: Automatic entitlement to work on or off campus up to 20 hours each week of the academic term, and more in vacation times.
15. Global reputation for excellence: Graduate schools and employers around the world will recognise and respect the LSE name on your CV. You'll also be part of an impressive global alumni network ensuring you maintain a lifelong connection with the School.