Skip to content

Travel Registration

Grinnell College Sponsored International Travel Registration

Students, faculty and staff who are travelling internationally on college-supported or college-related activities are asked to register their travel plans. Registration should be completed prior to departure using your Grinnell College email and password. Changes to dates or locations may be made by selecting login to see your individual record. Changes to dates may be made later using the pencil icon. Contact Lucy Chang at or 641-269-3188 for assistance.

International Traveler Checklist

The following is a checklist for international travelers: International Traveler Checklist. You may also wish to read the Health & Safety tab for resources or information.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

We strongly recommend international travelers register with the U.S. State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. It is a free service which allows U.S. citizens and nationals to enroll their international trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The Embassy or Consulate can notify you of safety conditions at your destination, as well as contact you in an emergency situation or help family and friends get in touch with you. To register click on the following link: Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, you may register on the same site to receive emails regarding travel alerts and warnings for specific countries. You may also wish to register with the Embassy or Consulate of your country if it is an available option.

In an Emergency

Grinnell College programs, such as course embedded travel, Global Learning programs and the third-party providers of approved off-campus study programs, have emergency action plans that guide them through emergency situations.  In case of an emergency beyond the competence or jurisdiction of the College faculty/staff or the authorities of the hosting institution, or an emergency that occurs while the student is away from the program site, students should contact their nearest U.S. or home country's consulate/embassy. Students can also receive assistance through Grinnell College Campus Security  at 641-269-4600 or; available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

If the family of an American traveler needs to reach the traveler because of an emergency at home or because family members are worried about the traveler’s welfare the State Department will relay a message to the consular officers in the country in which the traveler is, and the consular officers will try to locate the traveler, pass on urgent messages, and, consistent with the Privacy Act, report back to the inquiring family. Call 1-888-407-4747.  

To contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours). Participants and their families need to be aware of the fact that the U.S. Department of State Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management will generally not release information about specific individuals to Grinnell College or to other third parties.


Travel Restrictions

Grinnell College does not typically allow college sponsored travel to countries with State Department Travel Warnings. Please verify your travel location is not listed below.

RSS Feed Widget